‘The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step?’ Lao Tzu
Often our fears are the stumbling block preventing us from achieving the goals and dreams we would love to fulfil. Whatever the fear is, it is more often than not imagined. And actually does not take much to push to the side. Opening the pathway for goals to be fulfilled. Easier said than done you may be thinking. However by following the tried and tested GROW model adapted by Uptimistic Linguistics, I’m going to show you how you can move past your fear.
To do this exercise you may want to take a piece of paper and pen to write down your thoughts. It can also be fun doing it with a friend. Your goal may involve many stages and so break it down into realistic stages and time frames. To say you want to be a CEO of a company within a year and right now you have no job and no experience would be unrealistic. But being a CEO one day is not. How will you do it? Get qualifications needed for the industry so you can get a good job. Or try and get a job in the field and work your way up are just a couple of ways.
- First of all, ask yourself: What is your goal? Is there a time frame? What do want to achieve? Imagining you achieve it, how would it make you feel? What DON’T you want and what does that tell you about what you DO want? If there were no limits to your goal, what would it look like?Now that you have established your goal let’s do a reality check.
- How important is this to you? By not pursuing the goal how does that impact your life now? How does it make you feel? Have you started taking steps towards your goal? What obstacles do you feel are in your way?
Considering the stumbling blocks and the possibilities let’s take a look at the options. This is an opportunity to be creative and think of the different ways you can move from where you are now to achieving your goal.
- What would make the biggest difference here? And what would you like to do differently? What other choices do you have? What would you like to have happen?
Putting things into action:
- What steps could you take? And what could help you to do this? What needs to happen to put that into action?
Now let’s put your will to the test: What will you do?
- What are you going to do now? What’s the first step? Is this realistic? When will you do it? Is there anything you need to put into place before you do it?
Do you need to talk to someone or go somewhere to take this step? How will you do that? From 1-10 how committed are you to doing this? If it is not a 10 what would you need to make it a 10?
Opportunity to commit:
- What are you committed to? What is the impact if you don’t do it? How important is it for you to do this?
Congratulations!!!!!! Just by identifying your next steps you have already started the journey. Hold your goal close. Every little step counts, no matter how small. Keep going and remember YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!