‘The amount of plastic produced in a year is roughly the same as the entire weight of humanity.’
Imagine if each adult person on the planet refused to use 1 plastic bag per year. That would mean 4billion less plastic bags needing to be produced. Now imagine if each day we just refused 1 plastic bag. Whether holding food or our general shopping or even 1 item wrapped in plastic. This would mean 1.46 trillion bags not needing to be produced per year.
It’s time we all take responsibility. Not only for how we consume. But also how our actions play a major role in our future health and wellbeing on this planet. Here are 6 simple things you can do that will cost you nothing and that are beneficial to the environment.
- Ditch the straws: After all, do you really need to be slurping your drink or cocktail from a plastic straw? It has to be said it is not a great look and it super damaging to the environment. So next time you buy a drink just say ‘No straw thanks’.
- Ditch the plastic bag: A single plastic bag can take 1,000 years to degrade. In many countries around the world the plastic bag is being phased out. And people are bringing their own bags when they shop. It makes sense not only because it is good for the environment but because it is much more stylish.
- Stop buying bottled water: This is for your own health as much as it is for the environment. Most plastic bottles leak chemicals into the water actually making what we think is pure water into a toxic chemical. Which can impact hormone levels and has been linked to cancer. As the Guardian reports from an investigation they conducted in June 2017, ‘ a million plastic bottles are bought around the world every minute.’
- Ditch the take away coffee cup and bring your own. it may be even cheaper.
- Ditch the disposable razor: Instead buy a metal one and all you will need to replace are the blades. It’s a much better money saving option
- Give up chewing gum: Did you know almost all chewing gum is made from plastic? That’s right. When you’re chewing gum, you’re chewing on plastic.