The year may be well on its way, but keeping to good habits is not. Which is why today I decided to write about cleaning out your closet. If you haven’t done this already then this is for you. Because whether we like to admit it or not, most of us have way too many clothes. And even worse than that, most of us hold onto things that we no longer wear. I know I am one of those people who is always holding onto clothes that I have no business keeping. Which is why every few months or so, I like to do a full closet clean out.
Yep, you heard it right ladies, I clean EVERYTHING out. From underwear, to belts and even jeans that I keep for the day I lose weight. Not only does holding onto these things minimize the potential for my closet. But they also make it very difficult to get dressed in the morning. Especially when time is limited. Which is why having a smaller, more edited closet is not only key, but necessary. Below are some steps I follow when cleaning out my closet.
- Take everything out of your closet and put it on your bed, the floor or anywhere there is space.
- Group clothing items by type. Jeans with jeans, t-shirts with t-shirts and so on.
- Go through each item of clothing and ask yourself when last you wore it, if it fits and if you love it.
- Take 3 black plastic bags and put clothes in that you love but need to be fixed in one bag. Clothes that need to be given away to charity or friends and family. And lastly, clothes that you can sell.
- When you are done sorting your clothes, neatly pack the clothes you want to keep. Make sure to get matching coat hangers, and baskets so everything is easy to find.
And there you have it ladies. What may start off as a big mess, can turn into your best ally. Which is why taking enough time to do this is important. Happy closet clean out.