Have you ever had that feeling? Like the body you live in is not yours? Like its maybe not the one you are meant to be in? With the rise of more and more news coverage on transgender individuals, a lot of people are coming out and saying they relate. For these people, the bodies they live in don’t feel right. Like maybe they feel more like a boy if they are a girl, or they feel like they are a girl if they are a boy. It’s easy to get confused about what this actually means and how this happens when you have never experienced it.
But whether you feel it or not, transgender individuals do exist. Not only do they exist, but they are people who need love and support just like everybody else. Imagine how confused and scared they must be to grow up in a world where if you are born a girl you have to stay that way. Or at least you feel like you have to stay that way because no one told you that there was any other way. That it was ok to feel like this and not a sickness or something to run away from.
So now for the big question. What do you do if someone tells you that they feel like their body is not right for them? Here are some easy to follow tips to help you if you feel that your body is not yours, or if you know of someone who feels like this.
- Try to keep in mind that a persons gender is theirs to decide. This means that none of us should judge anyone who is transgender.
- Be supportive or find support. This can be pretty hard because as much as we talk about it, transgender is still a very misunderstood thing. Which means lots of people aren’t so open to the idea which is why finding support is so important.
- Remember to respect the persons privacy by not letting everyone know. Maybe they are not ready or maybe they just don’t want everyone knowing. Being transgender can be hard enough without people judging.
- Get some information. With lots of news agencies now writing about being transgender, its easy to find some answers to some of your burning questions.
- Just be there. After all, wouldn’t you want someone to be there for you?
In the end just try to remember that people are people. And just because some does not feel like the person in their body, it does not make them any less human.